R & D
Innovative solutions form the fulcrum of the growth strategy at Garware Technical Fibres as echoed in the Mission Statement “Provide innovative, application focussed solutions to enhance the value of our customers globally”
Towards this objective, the R&D department has multi-discipline experts in the fields of polymers, chemicals, textiles and material sciences. This is ably aided by an in depth application knowledge and experience congregated over the years in various sectors like aquaculture, fishing, shipping, industrial and others.
A rigorous, process oriented approach is adopted for product development. Each product undergoes a stringent stage gate process with customer being the focal point of all development activities.
Over the last many years, we have filed 27 patents in both India and global markets. The innovation and application orientation with a relentless focus on enhancing value has made us the preferred partner of our customers globally.
Our R&D centres have been recognised by the Dept. of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- Garfil Maxiflex Ropes – A new age rope bettering the properties of Nylon ropes and at the same time cost effective. A great boon for the towing industry.
- Geonets & Geoboxes – A new concept for Indian Geosynthetic industry
Nylon Multifilament nettings. Various resins developed – The resins ensured proper application focused support
- PE braided nettings for Global market.
- Sports nets & Fabricated nets for non-fishing applications
PE twisted nettings for Indian and global Market – a game changer in the Indian fishing industry, the fisherfolk got high quality nettings
- Sapphire Braided nettings – This product heralded the arrival of the organization in the premium league of synthetic cordage producers
- Olivene MK3 nettings – A mid range compact netting for specific segments.
- Fully assembled Purse Seine net – A step towards forward integration synergizing the application and product knowledge of the organisation
Square mesh cod ends – Addressing the social needs of protecting the juvenile fish for sustainable fishing
- High end Sports nets (batting / golf cages)
- Geonets (mulchmats) – These further reinforced the organisation’s position in this segment
Olivene MK2 nettings (entry into compact braided nettings) – a technology transfer from a UK company, this heralded the organization’s entry into the premium netting segment
- Aquaculture Cages Fabrication – Adding another business segment in the net assembly shop
- Garfil Nylon Purse Seine nettings for Domestic Market – A premium product offering with specialized resins for Indian Purse Seine fishermen
- Purse Seine nettings as per Norwegian standards (Global market) – Developing process and coatings to achieve rigorous standards with 463 impregnation for purse seine nettings
- Twisted Sapphire nettings – High end product for the small shrimp & fish trawls with enhanced strength and abrasion resistance
- Garfil Maxigold ropes – High end ropes replacing traditional PP mooring ropes with high strength to weight ratio
- Dedicated Net Assembly shop – Enhancement of the forward integrated facility fabricating new products like
- Catfish Seine nets
- Shrimp Trawl nets
- Electric Fence Wire – Blend of metal and polymer wires to provide effective fencing for animal rearing
- Sea Lion protection nets – A product to save the fish in aquaculture from Sea Lions
SNG nettings – A further step in compact nettings offering even higher strength and abrasion resistance
- Aquaculture Cages Fabrication for Abalone
- Production of Pelagic Nettings – Commissioning of one of the largest Hot Air D.S.
- Sapphire Aquaculture Cages fabrication
- Maxima Purse Line ropes – Specialized rope development for Purse Seine fishing in the USA
- Raschel Knotless nettings production – Backward integration for aquaculture cages raw material
- Aquaculture Cages fabrication for Tuna – Specialized cage making for high value Tuna fish
- Camouflage nets – Indigenized offering in service of the Defence forces
- This period saw the organization starting 2 new business divisions:
- Coated fabrics
- Plateena Aquaculture cages
- Plateena Trawl Winch rope
- Plateena Purse lines – Application focused ropes easing the purse seining operations and enabling better catch efficiency
- Plateena Salmon Seine netting – Revolutionary concept in Alaska salmon fishing increasing the catch manifolds
- Plateena Herring Seine netting – Another revolutionary concept for Alaska fishing
- Various composite coatings – Improving the application oriented properties
- Plateena ropes made with Dyneema® – Foray into high modulus fiber ropes
- Garfil STR nettings – Highly improvised offering for Indian fishing market
- Garfil RFT nettings – Application focused product for better mouth opening in pelagic nets
- Rocky – Application focused product for rocky surface fishing
Flexible Helimat – patent pending. Specialised application for Indian defence sector
Inflated structure for Radars
Aerostat balloon – Indigenization for Indian Defence sector and value addition for the coated fabric division
Sapphire Ultracore Predator Protection Nets – Patent pending. A unique mixture of polymer and metal wires with a stiffening resin.
- Garfil STAR yarn developed – High strength special polyolefin yarn – patent pending
- Garfil STAR for knotted and knotless netting – application focused products from the yarn developed
- Turbo Leadline – specialised rope to improve the sinking properties of Purse Seines
- Defence division established – a growing market in India with scope to introduce new application focused products
X2 Aqua Mooring Ropes – Very High Fatigue Resistance, Low Elongation & Approx. 20% Higher Breaking Strength for same diameter of Maxima rope.
X2 Aqua 3 Strand Rope for cages – High Fatigue Resistance, Low Elongation & Approx. 15% Higher Breaking Strength for same diameter of Maxima rope.
Sapphire Excel Plus – Higher cut resistance, Stiffer than regular PE braided nets & Perfect Square mesh.
X12 Lice Shield – Non-Pharmaceutical Lice Controlling Method-Lice Skirts. Approx. 80 times higher water flow than regular lice shields which helps to maintain DO in fish cage. Patent pending.
X1S Braided Netting – Lower diameter & Less weight netting. Less load on mooring system.
Viking Plus – Knotless nets with sinking ability. Similar behavior as Nylon during Sea lice Treatment.
Breamsafe Net cages – Higher Bite resistance than nylon netting. Unique fabrication method to avoid chewing by seabream.
X18 Stiff Netting – Will prevent Seals & Sharks to reach to fish cage. Drastic reduction in fish loss. Patent pending.
V2 netting – PE netting with Antifouling and Sinking additive incorporated in the yarn. It will delay fouling & hence reduction in In situ cleaning cycles. Patent pending.
ULTIMA - X2 ULTIMA 8 STRAND ROPES :
Made with a blend of X2 & special polyester yarn with a specific gravity less than 1, X2 Ultima is the latest offering for Mooring ropes.
This offers approx. 15% weight / strength advantage over traditional ropes thus making the ropes better to handle and moor.
The advantages of better cyclic loading and controlled elongation continue
X2 12 Strand Ropes ROPES FOR OPGW STRINGING:
The traditional Polyamide braid on braid ropes are posed with inherent issues like water absorption. This leads to conducting of electricity and high weight during actual usage. The newly developed X2 12 Strand Ropes ropes overcomes both of these problems. In addition, being a polyolefinic material it is highly inert unlike polyamide!
Application focussed 3 STRAND TWR:
The ropes currently used by the fishermen for the winch on trawlers tend to elongate very high during the usage implying that the ‘markings’ on the ropes have to be redone by taking some time off from the remunerative time at the sea!
The new TWR (Trawl winch rope) has very low elongation during usage under load thus removing the constraints and also delivers very high strength increasing the safety at sea!
X2 crab ropes
Special lay for better abrasion resistance, these ropes can be coated also with a special technology developed by our R&D dept. Succesfully being used for crabs in USA and being trialled in Australia. Completely hockle free, these ropes deliver excellent solution for the crab pot industry.
Codends form an important part of the trawl. However most often the twine and nets used for the main body netting is used for the same. After a detailed Voice of Customer analysis; GWRL has recently developed a cod end netting with
- Low shrinkage
- Low scope for mud ingress
- Better abrasion resistance
- Controlled elongation
The product is currently being manufactured for field trials and soon GWRL will come up with this service for our esteemed customers and end users worldwide.
Being a market leader brings with it a sense of additional responsibility towards the fraternity. Keeping this in mind we embarked on a mission to develop better quality fishing gear going beyond the scope of our traditional products.
Understanding the application requirements of Indian fishing conditions and clubbing the knowledge of our overseas operations a unique trawl door design is developed.
The new trawl door would lead to better fuel efficiency and speed leading to a more sustainable fishing in the Indian waters!!
X1S Braided Netting
Lower diameter & Less weight netting. Less load on mooring system.
X18 Stiff Netting
Will prevent Seals & Sharks to reach to fish cage. Drastic reduction in fish loss. Patent pending.
PE netting with Antifouling and Sinking additive incorporated in the yarn. It will delay fouling by 2-3 months & hence reduction in In situ cleaning cycles. Patent pending.
Aqua mooring System
The node designs give ample flexibility at the same time giving enough stability to keep the grid in place with the required shock absorbing capacity. The patented design is available in X2 – with its fatigue resistance capabilities and also light weight of Plateena as the situation desires.
Insect Repellant Nets:
Protection of crops from different insects like mosquitoes, white flies etc. is a crucial aspect especially for protected agriculture. Traditionally, a physical barrier is created to keep these insects away. However, even a small puncture or a gap while installing the nets is enough for the insects to creep in.
Keeping this constraint in mind we are working on an Insect Repellant Net which would make sure that the insects are kept way and not try to go through the gaps. The advanced extrusion and coating techniques at GWRL make it possible for us to extend the knowledge for various fields of application.
High fruit bearing plants / bushes like tomato, capsicum etc. have to be staked properly so that they do not fall off to the ground by weight of the fruits.
Traditionally, the farmers are using a GI wire with its inherent problems of rusting, inflexibility, knotting problems, hand injuries etc.
We have recently developed a Polyolefin staking cord offering excellent flexibility, knotability and is very easy to handle. Easy handling reduces the manpower requirement and the non rusting property gives an extended life. Thus, it makes a great Value Proposition!
Defense textiles business has become a highly technology intensive segment in modern times. GWRL has developed a strong association as an Industry partner with Aerial Delivery Research & Development Establishment (ADRDE) an associate office of DRDO. The partnership has seen successful completion of several projects, transforming the design concepts into successful products and contributing towards indigenization needs of the country.
Tethered Aerostat Balloons
The Tethered Aerostat Radar System, or TARS, is a stationary airborne platform system intended primarily for military surveillance programs as it is capable of detecting low altitude aircrafts. The aerodynamic shape aerostat balloon made out of special coated fabrics is filled with helium gas to carry the payload to an operational height of about 2 miles in sky. Besides using many types of specialty cordage, Tether is the main anchoring cable that carries fiber optical cable and power cable. The presently fabricated aerostat system is as per the design, drawing and technical support provided by Aerial Delivery Research and Development Establishment (ADRDE), Agra.
Aerostat Balloons are also used for Communications, Broadcasting, Advertising and monitoring air traffic control capabilities. India has huge potential for such aerostats for its cost effectiveness in surveillance, communications, and quick transport access to remote areas.
Inflated Structures for Radars:
This is first time such a structure is being indigenously built in India under partnership between Garware Wall-Ropes Ltd and Aerial Delivery Research & Development Establishment (DRDO).This inflatable structure is a weather proof enclosure to protect the electronic equipments from damage due to high winds, flying debris, temperature extremes, icing and sandstorms. The structure is supported by air blowers, Air conditioner systems and electrical control panels. A specially designed and fabricated ‘Air Lock Tunnel’ door is provided for entry and exit of men and material. Fabrics used are highly specification driven coated fabrics that are extremely strong, tough, dimensionally stable, weather resistant and are transparent to EMG signals. The pressurized air inside the inflatable structure stabilizes it against the high wind, snowfall and external wind velocities. The concept is fast spreading to inflated residential structures, sports pavilions, auditoriums etc showing promising market potential.
During landing & take-off of helicopter the rotor downwash results in ‘browning effect’ throwing up sand and dust in the air putting the helicopter and pilot at risk. GWRL has developed the innovative ‘Flexible helimat’ (patent pending) made out of multilayered HDPE warp knitted fabrics to protect the helicopter and the pilot from brown-outs. It is much superior compared to other products of its class in terms of light weight, ease of transportation, assembling and deployment on the field. Helimat is available in camouflaging designs & colors to match terrain such as suit desert, semi desert as well as jungle areas.
Military camouflage is intended to protect personnel and conceal equipment from observation by enemy forces. There are many types of camouflages such as visual and non-visual such as IR, near IR, thermal, acoustic & electromagnetic and sometimes many of these features integrated together known as Multi Spectral Camouflage Nets (MSCN). No single camouflage pattern is effective in all terrains. Contrast and color tones play a vital role. Strong contrasts are better suited for forest terrain while low contrasts are better suited to open terrain.
High performance cordage made out of Nylon, Polyester, Aramid & Dyneema ranging from few mm to few inches are being developed and supplied to all the Army, Navy, Air force & other defense departments for applications in parachutes, transport, aerostat balloons etc.